Couponing in College 101
by Kelsey Henry
Welcome to Couponing in College 101. In this lecture, we will cover the need-to-know information to save….and spend your way to financial success in college. Before we get started, let me introduce myself.
I am the Millennial Money Maker. I was bred to be a new form of super consumer, one part profit-driven Retailer and one part financially conscious Consumer. This unique DNA has armed me with the knowledge and perspective of both worlds, creating a brand new point of view on shopping and saving.
I am going to teach you how to profit in college, and in life through financial habits and couponing. Yes, I said profit. Not only will you profit financially, but you will also profit in other areas of your life, through your new sense of savvy financial confidence.
To get started, here are 5 tips for saving money without changing any of your current spending habits:
- Simply ask for a discount.
You can really do this anywhere, especially if you ask for a student discount. The worst that could happen is that the person or company could say no. Most of the time, additional discounts are offered. Most people just don’t know or are not brave enough to ask. When you ask for a discount remember these tips:
- Always be polite. Sales associates will be much more inclined to help you out if you are kind to them.
- Ask about specific discounts, such as student discounts, AAA, or group organization discounts (perhaps you are part of a student organization).
When you go out shopping or run errands this week, ask about additional discounts. Do this at all of the businesses you purchase from, including retailers, restaurants, hair salon, beauty parlor, etc. Track the savings from each discount.
- Sign up for loyalty programs.
Most retailers, restaurants, or services have a loyalty program. These programs allow you to get rewards and coupons for future purchases. These are great because they require little effort and can usually be used with your phone number. Sometimes you will also receive a sign up offer for joining, such as a percentage off coupon or a free product. Here are a few really great loyalty programs:
- CVS (promotions and coupons for grocery, health, household supplies, and beauty products)
- Auntie Anne’s (Free pretzels and BOGO or Buy One Get One offers)
- Starbucks (Free coffee and other promotions)
- BJ’s (discounts on meals and free pizookies)
- Fuzzy’s (Free meals and the app has a fun game on it)
- JCPenney ($10 off $10 purchase coupons and other discounts)
Sign up for the loyalty program of every retailer, restaurant, or service that you normally use. See what reward offers you get just for signing up and also track any immediate savings on purchases.