By Alexander Edsel
In this post, I want to focus on market research and the jobs available for market researchers.
Average years of experience and salary average
An entry-level Market Research Analyst with less than one year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $48,593 based on 197 salaries. An early career Market Research Analyst with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $52,657 based on 757 salaries. A mid-career Market Research Analyst with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $63,670 based on 168 salaries. An experienced Market Research Analyst with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $74,833 based on 67 salaries.
What is the market size?
Searches for “market research analyst” returned approximately 12,141 results on Indeed.com in November 2019; a keyword search for the skill “market research” in the same time period on the same site returned 88,068 jobs.
A Typical Job Description from Starbucks – Seattle, WA:
Do you love bringing qualitative and quantitative learnings together, to tell a compelling story? As a Starbucks Market Research & Insights manager, you will inspire teams and leaders to take action and make decisions by serving as the champion of our Customers and Partners (employees). In this role, you will lead a broad variety of research projects to suit the needs of the business. You will help others translate business questions into research objectives and, in turn, into studies and learning plans. You will serve as a consultant across a wide variety of teams, spanning—among others—marketing, product, R&D and Operations.
Previous experience that will enable you to:
- Act as a thought leader and collaborator in designing custom research plans, incorporating diverse approaches
- Collaborate with business partners and team members to translate business questions into research designs and customized reports
- Tell compelling stories with data, making meaning for business stakeholders
- Master Starbucks research approaches to add value and impact incremental research capabilities
- Serve as an influencer, representing the voice of our Customers and Partners
- Knowledge and experience with both quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Experience leading end-to-end research, from scoping to planning, executing and reporting
- The ability to see the big picture, taking strategic approaches to research plans
- Comfortable with experimental research design
- Compelling, persuasive oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to build strong cross-functional relationships
- Market Research & Insights experience in CPG, Retail or a Market Research vendor
Market Research & Data Analyst (Piracy Intelligence) – The Walt Disney Studios,
It’s the magic of immersing yourself in a motion picture masterpiece, or a new track from your favorite band, or the spectacle of a live Broadway show. It’s hard to define and even harder to create, but that’s what we do at The Walt Disney Studios. Ours is a culture of innovation, collaboration and creativity. We raise the bar, then step over it, blazing trails through the production and distribution of world-class entertainment around the globe. If you want to help tell compelling, enduring stories through movies, music or stage plays, then we want to hear from you.
The Walt Disney Studios encompasses the creation, production, promotion, sales, acquisition and domestic and international distribution of live-action and animated motion pictures, home entertainment releases, live stage plays, and music and soundtrack recordings.
The Piracy Intelligence team at The Walt Disney Studios is based in Burbank and provides meaningful piracy insights to inform strategies that maximize revenue for the film and TV business and minimize the piracy impact.
The Piracy Intelligence team is looking for a Market Research & Data Analyst, who will be responsible for providing support to a variety of piracy intelligence initiatives to measure movie and TV viewing trends across digital media platforms. You will process, analyze, and report on data from functions within piracy intelligence and across various business units supporting film distribution. You will Work closely with the Piracy Intelligence Manager to execute market research projects, perform data analysis, and ensure accurate use and reporting of the data to provide business insights.
- Support the execution of Piracy Intelligence market research projects, including survey programming, data cleaning and processing, and analysis
- Develop and update dashboards that integrate data from various sources
- Assist in the development, execution, and delivery of ongoing piracy landscape reports
- Lead communications with third-party vendors
- Continually leverage, integrate, and analyze research studies from multiple sources in order to synthesize insights
- Manage the ongoing milestones and deliverables of several projects running simultaneously
- Manage priorities effectively of ongoing projects and ad hoc requests
- 1-2 years of experience with quantitative research, preferably at a market research agency/firm
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and understand written and oral instructions
- Ability to communicate clearly in both written and oral form
- Self-starter and highly organized, with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must be a fast learner and capable of executing tasks with minimal oversight
- Ability to work well under time constraints
- Expertise in use of Excel and presentation software such as PowerPoint or Keynote
- Experience with Qualtrics required
- Knowledge and use of statistical software (SPSS)
- Experience with Tableau
|Skills Matched to MS Marketing Courses|
|Top skills mentioned by at least 10 major companies with this job title posting||Courses of special relevance —- see syllabus for each course for exact lineup of skills as not all covered in each instance|
|Designing surveys, programming/testing surveys, managing quotas and fielding, experiments, designing crosstabs, ability to interpret statistical testing and analyze results for reporting. Survey Tools (Qualtrics, Decipher, ConfirmIt)||MKT 6309 Marketing Data Analysis & Research
OPRE 6301 Statistics & Data Analysis
BUAN/MIS 63XX Causal Analytics &A/B Testing (FA 2020)
|Data Analysis using tools such as Excel, Python, R, SPSS and Data Visualization tools like Tableau||MKT 6353 Customer Insights & Analytics
MIS 6356 Business Analytics with R
MIS 6380 Data Visualization
OPRE 6332 Spreadsheet Modeling & Analytics
|Web and social media analytics and listening platforms||MKT 6352 Marketing Web Analytics & Insights
MKT 6343 Social Media Marketing & Insights
|Proficiency in written and verbal communication, client interaction, problem-solving, time management, organizational, project management skills||OPRE 6362 Project Management in Engineering and Operations
MKT 6342 Marketing Customer Insights Development
|Understanding advertising (how ads are developed, planned, measured)||MKT 6321 Interactive & Digital Marketing
MKT 6332 Advertising & Promotional Strategies
Typical Job Titles
Market Research Associate
Market Research Analyst
Market Research Manager
Media Research & Insights Analyst
Leading DFW Research Companies
Leading Market Research Companies Worldwide in 2018, by Global Research Revenue (in billion U.S. dollars)
TOP 50+ MARKET RESEARCH COMPANIES
Which Market Research Companies Are The Most Effective Partners?
Upcoming Market Research Conferences
|January 27-29||Media Insights and Engagement Conference||New Orleans, Louisiana, USA||KNect365|
|January 29-31||2020 QRCA Annual Conference||Austin, Texas, USA||QRCA|
|February 5-6||2020 QRPharma Market Research Conference USA||Newark, New Jersey, USA||Pharma Market Research Conference|
|February 11-12, 2020||2020 Quirk’s Event – London||London, UK||Quirk’s|
|February 14-16||2020 AMA Winter Academic Conference||San Diego, CA, USA||AMA – American Marketing Association|
|February 17-19||QUAL360 Europe 2020||Berlin, Germany||Merlien Institute|
|Feb 24-25||Ethnographic Qualitative Research Conference||Flamingo Las Vegas, Las Vegas, USA||EQRC|
|March 3-4, 2020||2020 Quirk’s Event – New York||Brooklyn, New York, USA||Quirk’s|
|March 24-25||QUAL360 North America 2020||Washington D.C., USA||Merlien Institute|
|April 6-7, 2020||2019 Quirk’s Event – Chicago||Chicago, USA||Quirk’s|
|April 14-16||IIeX 2020||Austin, Texas||Greenbook|
|April 15-16||QUAL360 Asia-Pacific 2020||Singapore||Merlien Institute|
|April 22 – 25||PAA 2020 Annual Meeting||Washington, D.C., USA||PAA – Population Association of America|
Quirk’s Media offers free case studies, articles and tools for better marketing research and insights including upcoming events and job postings.
You can read some content at its Web site (quirks.com) as well as in the Quirk’s magazine. The magazine is available by subscription as a PDF on the site or as a hard copy. Quirk’s also has a mobile app.
Alexander Edsel is the director of the MS in Marketing program and faculty member at the University of Texas at Dallas who teaches courses in digital marketing. Topics include e-commerce platforms, marketing automation, mobile apps, search-engine optimization, pay-per-click and web analytics